Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Mahaney Ministers the Gospel

A few comments from one of our own 222ers:

Alright, C.J. Mahaney is an incredibly humble man. Sunday morning's message was incredibly humbling and revealing to me. It revealed my own sin ( as intended) and created in me a desire to kill it. I want to be like the Philippians 2 man who has the attitude of Christ "who, though He was in the form of God, did not consider equality with God a thing to be grasped." (vs. 5) Wow!

C.J. Mahaney was the personification of this in my mind, though I know he is a sinner merely because he is human. He was adamantly thankful and humbled that anyone would even ask him to give his testimony or preach. He is an incredibly thankful person as we all should be. He also, at least for me, did a wonderful job of reminding me that temptation to sin will always be there. For me, in my fight against sin, this is important to remember: temptation is not sin, giving in to it is. I will always be tempted it's what I do with that temptation that's important. I can give in or fight. Since my mind is by nature wicked and apart from the grace of God and the power of the Holy Spirit can do absolutely NOTHING good, I must fight. It's my duty to fight. Romans 8 says that if I'm not killing sin, I will die! Why? Because I'm evil deep down. It's only by God's grace that I can fight. Since I'm justified in Christ, I can fight. Since Romans 8 also says "there is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus" (vs. 1), I can fight. Praise God that I can fight for a greater joy, a greater pleasure than my sin. May I never forget the facts of the gospel... that I'm a wretch at the deepest level, a former enemy of God who by God's amazing mercy, looks on me through His only Son Jesus Christ and declares me justified for His name's sake! That's the gospel C.J. Mahaney preached to me.

Did the Mahaney's minister to your soul this past weekend? Leave a comment!

No comments: