Thursday, May 25, 2006

down with the dc Talk


One of Jeff Crott's claims to fame is that he attended the same school with homeboys Toby McKeehan, Kevin Max Smith and Michael Tait - better known as dc Talk. I think they were even considering bringing Crotts on as a fourth member of the Talk, but they couldn't sell the concept of "Surfer Rap" to the record labels. That, and the fact that Crotts can't dance.

Just after I became a Christian, their album "Free At Last" came out & it was the first Christian album I ever bought (it was either that or Smitty's 10 year album, I can't remember). So I've been down with the dc Talk for quite some time now.

Well, looks like they have a new album coming out - but hang on, don't get excited and start tearin' down the walls - it's just another one of those 10-year-anniversary-tribute-albums performed by various Gotee Artists. They did something similar before, but it was just a re-release with a few bells & whistles- oh, and a bonus documentary/movie that was supposed to be released in the theatres, but for some reason - perhaps they were busy as a school boy makin' an "A" - it was never finished, so they decided to slap the unedited film on a dvd and sell it for the same price as a fully edited movie (I bought it).

I know it's normal for bands - dc Talk no exception - to do "Greatest Hits" albums. In fact, I snatched theirs up quick, fast in a hurry (their re-mix of "Say The Word" has got to be one of the best re-mixes I've ever heard). But another 10 year anniversary tribute to another old album? You'd almost think two things:

1) It's just a marketing tool to make some more money. But hey, you know that they're down wit the flow in the know on the go like a pro not for show 'cause they ain't in the biz for the dough or the me or the ray, all the dough's gotta stay 'cause they can't, no they can't, take it home anyway.
So it couldn't be that.

2) They don't have anything better for a new album. Even if DJ's don't play it.

I don't know...I really don't suspect either. After all, since their "temporary" breakup, Toby & Tait have had successful solo albums. Oh - and K Mart K Max too (just ask him). And I've never been dissappointed with anything new the group has come out with in the past.

All speculations aside, from what I've heard so far, it sounds pretty good.

No comments: